Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



22-7-2013 3:02 pm  #1


cost breakdown

sorry for not posting this before but was busy, now I got the letter with all paperwork and it just reminded me that I should post it:
Preparation time:
- Papers registered in solicitors office case officer     0.5 h     £35
- study of file and taking initial instructions and drafting papers, instructing solicitors  1 h    £175
- presenting complaint in court case officer     0.2 h    £14
- advice to officer, instructing solicitor      0.5 h    £87.5
- liaison with court for first hearing, brief of counsel for contested hearing, sending out statements, instructing solicitors    2.0 h      £350
- letters out £22.5 per letter     5      £112.5
- calls £22.5 per call        9             £202.5
Court costs:
- to lay a summons at court "200 per person         £200
- contested court fee cost                                   £500
Counsels fees:
- brief fee for contested hearing                          £360

Total: £2036.5

Last edited by piotrek (22-7-2013 3:02 pm)


Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
 

22-7-2013 3:36 pm  #2


Re: cost breakdown

I find it quite staggering that their counsel fees are only £360. Other breakdowns l've seen have been as high as £400 but why oh why when we ask for counsel do they quote thousands of pounds????


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png We don't do nice ... we do right!

It's not that l have something to hide ... it's l have nothing l want to show you.
 

22-7-2013 4:32 pm  #3


Re: cost breakdown

£3500 to be exact


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
 
 

22-7-2013 4:44 pm  #4


Re: cost breakdown

mrc wrote:

£3500 to be exact

Wow, with that you could get 10 of them ... well, 9 and a bit! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png We don't do nice ... we do right!

It's not that l have something to hide ... it's l have nothing l want to show you.
 

22-7-2013 5:58 pm  #5


Re: cost breakdown

thats what peter hasting asked for, but that another story http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/blooper.png


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
 
 

22-7-2013 6:07 pm  #6


Re: cost breakdown

Right, well this means that every time anyone makes any request to these f*ckers do it in writing, instead of email. Charge them £22.5 per letter. Every time you telephone them charge them £22.5 per call. Phone them every day and tell them that they will be charged at £22.5 per call. Record the call and present it in case you win. Jesus christ in 6 months you would amass £4117 in costs for phone calls.

Surely this can be challenged as disproportionate. It means they can phone YOU on a whim and charge you for it!!

And could it not be debated that calling the submitter of the notice of claim that being called 9 times at this cost was firstly vexatious and secondly that the cost of the call was not informed to the submitter of the notice of claim before a call was made? What would ofcom make of this?

 

23-7-2013 10:17 am  #7


Re: cost breakdown

Smoking Hot wrote:

I find it quite staggering that their counsel fees are only £360. Other breakdowns l've seen have been as high as £400 but why oh why when we ask for counsel do they quote thousands of pounds????

 I believe barristers' fees are restricted and at a lower level still when 'public funded'.
Solicitors' fees I think are not limited.
Many barristers make play of the fact that they are actually cheaper than solicitors but can only be instructed directly in certain types of cases and it would involve yourself in undertaking some groundwork and paperwork. I'm not sure if our scenario ticks the box.

When you take out 'fixed' costs of £700 court fees and £360 counsel fees approx half of Piotrek's costs are 'in-house' fees.

Last edited by eezyrider (23-7-2013 10:17 am)


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

 
 

23-7-2013 10:36 am  #8


Re: cost breakdown

That's our Achilles Heel Eezy when we go to court. McKenzie Friends are not allowed to address the court so can't question BF officers in the witness box. lt's left to such as Piotrek etc and they don't have experience of being able to question.

We desperately need a barrister who can do this. He/she doesn't have to be an expert in the laws etc of Customs ... all they need to do is question and present the evidence. We have all the ammunition but need someone capable of using it!

Remember it comes down to such as 'can you afford the purchase', 'consumption rates etc', 'previous trips' .... the courts show no interest in legal arguments.


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png We don't do nice ... we do right!

It's not that l have something to hide ... it's l have nothing l want to show you.
 

23-7-2013 11:02 am  #9


Re: cost breakdown

Smoking Hot wrote:

That's our Achilles Heel Eezy when we go to court. McKenzie Friends are not allowed to address the court so can't question BF officers in the witness box. lt's left to such as Piotrek etc and they don't have experience of being able to question.

We desperately need a barrister who can do this. He/she doesn't have to be an expert in the laws etc of Customs ... all they need to do is question and present the evidence. We have all the ammunition but need someone capable of using it!

Remember it comes down to such as 'can you afford the purchase', 'consumption rates etc', 'previous trips' .... the courts show no interest in legal arguments.

In very exceptional circumstances a McKenzie friend may address the court if prior permission is given. This may be worth investigating in Piotrek's case.

http://courtwithoutalawyer.co.uk/mckenzie-friends.html

 

23-7-2013 9:42 pm  #10


Re: cost breakdown

SH
Would it be possible to take this a stage further by having a consultation with a barrister and getting an estimate of the cost?
 Nearly all barristers offer a free consultation of up to 30 mins to discuss the case and give an estimate of costs.It would mean presenting the barrister with a bundle to review the case.
Barristers are not allowed to collect evidence or fill in forms and write letters. They can however do this in draft and advise the client what to do.They can also, of course, represent a client in court. This is where you save over having a solicitor who takes over the case and does all the paperwork-you have to do that yourself. The evidence would already be there in the form of the seizure notice and NOC etc or in the case of an established member, SOT and audio transcript etc.

I'm getting tunnel vision on this so if anyone has experience to the contrary then by all means rip it apart.

Last edited by eezyrider (25-7-2013 7:28 am)


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

 
 

25-7-2013 2:45 pm  #11


Re: cost breakdown

eezyrider wrote:

SH
Would it be possible to take this a stage further by having a consultation with a barrister and getting an estimate of the cost?
 Nearly all barristers offer a free consultation of up to 30 mins to discuss the case and give an estimate of costs.It would mean presenting the barrister with a bundle to review the case.
Barristers are not allowed to collect evidence or fill in forms and write letters. They can however do this in draft and advise the client what to do.They can also, of course, represent a client in court. This is where you save over having a solicitor who takes over the case and does all the paperwork-you have to do that yourself. The evidence would already be there in the form of the seizure notice and NOC etc or in the case of an established member, SOT and audio transcript etc.

I'm getting tunnel vision on this so if anyone has experience to the contrary then by all means rip it apart.

l've put a couple of requests in stating our position, l await their response.
 


http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png We don't do nice ... we do right!

It's not that l have something to hide ... it's l have nothing l want to show you.
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Disclaimer:- This forum is an open forum, and anyone can post their thoughts here (within reason). Therefore the views expressed here are those of individuals and not necessarily those of Nothing 2 Declare. We try to allow as much freedom of speech as possible, including views that some may find objectionable. This includes the views of UKBA, Border Force, HMRC, legitimate cross-border shoppers, non-legitimate importers, general public and anyone else that wishes to post.
Regarding ourselves, we categorically do not condone smuggling and neither do we condone the current tactics used against legitimate cross-border shoppers by UKBA/Border Force and HMRC. The current tactics benefit both Customs and smugglers alike.
Although some people use real names, there is no guarantee that they are who they say they are; it is impossible for us to verify identities of all members.