Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-3-2014 5:25 pm  #1

Subject access request

Dear Border Force,

I have searched the internet for information about making a subject access request to you. Any links available take me to either BF home page or to the passport and identity service.

I have to ask why there are no links on BF's website. Until the dot gov websites were changed forms and information were readily available. This could be construed as stonewalling individuals wishing to make a SAR especially those requiring the information to defend condemnation proceedings.

I hope you will address this problem as soon as possible and look forward to a response at your earliest convenience.

Awaiting response as of 8th March

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

09-3-2014 6:09 pm  #2

Re: Subject access request

11-3-2014 1:13 pm  #3

Reply received today:-

Please accept our apologies for the lack of access to a subject access request (SAR) form whilst the new website is being implemented.=11pt =11ptPlease be advised that requests for personal data are to be made by way of a subject access request (SAR) under the Data Protection Act 1998. These requests are to be made via post to Data Protection Unit, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR9 2BY. Requests can be made on the form I have attached to this email (the old form whilst we are currently completing the new form) or in a letter stating the data you require. If it is purely specific data you require we do recommend you making this clear in your request as this can sometimes help to speed up the process.=11pt =11ptRequests are to contain an original signature, if a representative is to be making the request for you or if the SAR is to be sent to a representative the request must contain a letter of authority signed not more than 12 months ago where you state you authorise the Data Protection Unit to disclose your data to (insert the persons details). Please note that photocopies of signatures on requests or letters of authority will not be accepted.=11pt =11ptRequests are also to contain identity documentation. We recommend a copy of your passport as this contains both signature and photographic identity and a copy of a utility bill.=11pt =11ptThere is a £10 fee associated with a SAR. This is to be paid by way of a cheque or postal order made payable to “The Home Office Accounting Officer”.=11pt =11ptIf you require your “entry and exit” data although you may have seen reference to the Home Office’s e-Borders system, you should be aware that this, so far, only covers 55% of passenger movements in and out of the United Kingdom and some routes are not covered. A journey may therefore have been undertaken which is not covered by e-Borders. Also, the e-Borders system only retains data for up to five years so we can not provide any data for journeys made more than five years ago. =11ptAll requests for e-Borders data must include the subjects passport number.=11pt =11ptThe Data Protection Unit have a target of 40 days to complete requests made under the DPA 1998.=11pt =11ptYours sincerely

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

11-3-2014 2:41 pm  #4

I got something similar regarding a f.o.i,seems they are quite busy

Please accept my apologies for not responding by the original deadline date of 6 March 2014.  I am still examining the circumstances around your request.  I hope to resolve the issue soon, however I appreciate your patience while I investigate.  I aim to respond not later than 3 April 2014. Your sincerely

Last edited by warrior (11-3-2014 2:41 pm)

Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

11-3-2014 3:00 pm  #5

eezyrider wrote:

the Data Protection Unit have a target of 40 days to complete requests made under the DPA 1998.

should this not read , a legal requirement to provide the information within 40 days.
I also note that it does not stipulate 40 working days

Please ensure you do not divulge any  information which could identify you as Border Force may take your posts here and attempt to quote parts of them out of context in court in order to try to discredit you.

20-1-2015 11:22 am  #6

Can anyone please advise if a witness statement containing another persons witness statement details, travelling with a person, contravenes data protection laws ? And why would it be considered relevant to send if the other person not challenging their seizure

20-1-2015 2:13 pm  #7

As I see it if you were preparing a defence the prosecution, or respondent in civil proceedings, would have to supply you with the evidence they intend to use against you. If a third party statement was relevant to the case then surely this could be used by the defence or prosecution. I don't see how the DP act is relevant to that.

The last SAR I received contained all my partner's personal details as we were travelling together and stopped together.

08-3-2015 8:14 am  #8

Section 2 of the SAR sets out:

Describe below the data you require. If you require additional space please continue on page 4.

Please be as specific as possible about the data you require.

I should like to obtain all data held.  Is this a sufficient manner in which to express my request or should I refer to specific travel dates and stops?  As I note in the Guidance Notes S (G):

Section 2 asks about the data required. It is generally quicker for the Subject Access Request Unit to locate and disclose minimal and specific data, instead of all data held, meaning we can usually provide a faster service.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (08-3-2015 8:15 am)

08-3-2015 10:03 am  #9

I just ask for all data held.

If there is specific data you want about a particular stop add '' In particular please include all and any info relating to...''

Be careful if you use the word 'specific' as it could be deemed to exclude anything else.

09-3-2015 6:18 am  #10

Thanks eezy.

JMK

Board footera