Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-3-2014 10:13 am  #1

2014 duty rates for penalties

Tobacco products dutyTobacco products From 6 pm 20 March 2013From 6 pm 19 March 2014
Impact on individuals/household
Cigarettes
16.5% of retail price plus £176.22 per 1,000 cigarettes                now 16.5% of retail price plus £184.10 per 1,000 cigarettes
Additional 24 pence to a packet of 20 cigarettes

Cigars
£219.82/kg          now£229.65/kg
Additional 8 pence to a packet of 5 small cigars

Hand rolling tobacco
£172.74/kg          now£180.46/kg
Additional 23 pence to a packet (25g) of hand-rolling tobacco

Other smoking tobacco and chewing tobacco
£96.64/kg           now£100.96/kgAdditional 13 pence to a packet (25g) of pipe tobacco

Last edited by eezyrider (21-3-2014 10:19 am)

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

21-3-2014 3:31 pm  #2

Re: 2014 duty rates for penalties

jezu ... at least Dick Turpin had the decancy to wear  a mask..

21-3-2014 6:37 pm  #3

Yes and when i get taken advantage off, i usually have a cigg.  The government rapes me and no smoke.

garry

START HERE, By answering these questions. http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1526
Useful documents for download : http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=34
Goods been seized, Start here.  http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=78
SOT Thanks to TBD. http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=373

13-11-2014 11:21 am  #4

I have received a duty bill of £3.497 from hm revenue  customs as my appeals had failed...in short can anyone offer any advice...i have contacted them ...and it seems the money has to paid over a 12 month period ..around £300 a month...it was said i could go to a tribunal ..[which could occur extra costs]...or they could put it in a collectors agency hands ...who could possibly make better arrangements of payment..[as if]

It has been put on hold for two weeks while i seek legal advice .....has anyone got any advice before i do this ..i have a solicitor ringing me tomorrow ...thanks

13-11-2014 3:48 pm  #5

a tribunal wont cost you anything,they using scare tactics,ask them to confirm this and record it.

I know one guy who didn;t and still hasn't paid a penny despite 2 seperate duty demands,he had a few threats ect,but heard nothing for over 12 months now.

have you appealed to crown court?

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

13-11-2014 4:14 pm  #6

kizzy wrote:

as my appeals had failed

What appeals exactly, have failed. Condemnation proceedings and/or restoration/review/tribunal?

13-11-2014 4:18 pm  #7

Only advice I would offer is don't waste your money on a solicitor if it has got to this stage.

As warrior says, a tribunal should not cost anything.

14-11-2014 9:10 am  #8

trying not to make this too complicated........I have gone through all the motions of trying to get this to court...as i left the bacca to return at a later date for an interview..because of complications...there was two of us travelling...i had two cases.[one mine both cabin bags]....waiting for him to return i had moved out of the way of people leaving towards the exit ...and was stopped.....he didn't come in.

the thing now is i got  a letter to pay 1900 pounds duty ...and was in the process of  Condemnation proceedings and/or restoration/review/tribunal

it was very complicated as i was dealing with two departments...[customs and paying the duty].........all i wanted to do is go to court and have a fair hearing .....it now seems the money they are asking for is for the bag that wasn't mine [£3497]...yet they have always been told his name and address yet never contacted him

this is now my problem ...what can i do ...all they offered was put on hold for two weeks....pay the amount over one year...put in a debt collectors hands for me to make arrangements with them or a tribunal that could  cost...more money ....i still need to go to court with this ....i am waiting for a call from a solicitor ...but he is a friend ..at this stage it will not cost me anything,

14-11-2014 9:24 am  #9

if you have sent in a NOC/appeal against seizure,then they shouldn't have sent the duty demand until after the court hearing.

Have you actually appealed against seizure within the time limit?

Did the person whoe's 'the other bag was',also appeal or return for an interveiw concerning his goods?

Dont expect ukbf to chase some one to ask 'do you want your goods back.please come and convince us there for your own use?' he would need to chase them up asap after seizure and see wtf was going on ,then appeal if he thought they was wrong in seizing.

Last edited by warrior (14-11-2014 9:32 am)

14-11-2014 9:40 am  #10

one of the first things ukbf ask when they stop you is 'is this your baggage,have you packed it yourself?',simple answer is no,end of,leave it there and concentrate on what is yours in that scenario.

Did your freind/travelling companion just leave his baggage and not even bother his goods were then seized without a fight? or even bother to return and ask why they had been siezed?

14-11-2014 9:58 am  #11

the other person has left it ....doesn't want to know has been stopped several times by customs ...for a search and they have never mentioned it ..and they know who he is ....because he told me to mention it was his from the off

i am still waiting for the result of the condemnation etc etc ...i told her i had an appeal....she said it had been upheld ...i had to pay the money back...[they may have been contacted before me].......all i wanted was to go to court ....i have a stack of paper work ...but unfortunately cant transfer any of  it on here...i took the rout either return mine or take me to court ...that's what I have always wanted to do...as you will know they make it as complicated as possible ....and have bare faced lied.....i still would like to go to court/tribunal ...and not wait till ballifs are knocking at my door ...they have put it on hold for 2 weeks...i also go away for two months on Wednesday.

14-11-2014 10:02 am  #12

one of the first things ukbf ask when they stop you is 'is this your baggage,have you packed it yourself?',simple answer is no,end of,leave it there and concentrate on what is yours in that scenario.

it never got to that because ...they didn't locate him ....and i wanted to leave as i had a taxi waiting ...and was already well over half an hour late...that is why i wanted to return..

14-11-2014 10:19 am  #13

Trying to unravel this. It sounds like something that is not easily explained in a few words but then again don't post anything that will identify you.

So you both passed through customs individually with your own bags without being stopped. ''He'' then went off somewhere and left his goods with you while you waited and then customs pounced. Is that correct?

Have you had any paperwork re condemnation proceedings if you appealed? If you are going to court you should not have a duty penalty. It is written into HMRC manuals that they cannot issue duty penalties if condems have been started as it is classed as double punishment.

As regards who is responsible for the goods that were not yours, that is debateable. Strictly speaking whoever is caught with the goods is responsible under the 'Excise goods handling and movement' regs. It would seem a bit unfair though to punish you for that.

14-11-2014 10:34 am  #14

neither of us went through customs,,,,he went to toilet and to collect hold bag........i was walking towards entrance.out of the way of passengers leaving ...it was nearly midnight and two planes had landed togethe r alicante tenarife....i was stopped before i left i was walking towards a clear space not the nothing to declare part.....and took in a room ...then brought out again to identify who i was travelling with.by that time he had left without bag it was outside when i saw him.....

14-11-2014 10:35 am  #15

=12.8000001907349pxi am still waiting for the result of the condemnation etc etc ...i told her i had an appeal....she said it had been upheld

you 
=12.8000001907349pxhave not had an appeal heard unless you have attended court.

they may mean the restoration has been refused,as it does in 9 out of 10 cases,if you had appealed /sent in a noc,then they have a duty to start condemnation proceedings within 6 months.

how long is it since the seizure?
did you send in your actual appeal against seizure within the time limit 30 days?

dont get confused with asking for restoration and an actual appeal against the legality of the seizure,only a court can hear this appeal.

14-11-2014 10:43 am  #16

i am going to have to get the stuff what i have out and go through it .....am a bit pushed for time ...so will get back asap

14-11-2014 11:40 am  #17

stopped 10 10 2013........................16 11 received letter trade exercise...

.in the meantime phone call letter from me had been sent requesting interview....[said hadnt recieved letter unfortunatly wasnt recorded...phone call was recorded on bill 14 10 2013 ]

letter dated 13 may

further to my letter dated 26 march 1014

i have spoken with ukbf with respect to your appeal to them....i believe a decision has been made and the decision will be issued to you in due course

i am now in a position tp progress your letter dated 14 marchand will forward your appeal in respect of the assessment to the hmrcreview teamsince it exceeds the 30 days given to you ...however on this occasion the reviewer team are willing to accept and proses..your application

with regards to the penalty i have reconsidered your case in the light of information you have providedbut cannot make any adjustments to the penalty i will be issuing the formal penalty letter in due course and will allow you a request to review or apply to the tribunal centre to appeal if you wish.

date 18 feb from customs

further to your request for the restoration of seized goods....

i also have a copy of 12a which i sent on the 28 10 2013...saying i seem to have been refused a interview.

iv got a bit confused ...as there is quite a lot to sort through ...hopefully you can fathem out from what i have put ...if not ..can u let me know and i can sort it later ...as now i have ran out of time

14-11-2014 11:57 am  #18

kizzy wrote:

two planes had landed togethe r alicante tenarife

Can it be clarified as to where the goods were purchased exactly and where had you travelled from exactly?

14-11-2014 12:04 pm  #19

looking like you only went through the restoration process and not submitted an actual NOC,or appealed against the legality of the seizure to a magistrates court i'm afraid.

too late now for an appeal i think,but you do have grounds to appeal to a tribunal,if you do ,this will delay the duty demand i think.

14-11-2014 12:16 pm  #20

they are saying that they have given you the oppertunity to appeal the restoration decision and sent you the form explaining how to appeal.

=12.8000001907349pxfurther to your request for the restoration of seized goods....

=12.8000001907349pxi also have a copy of 12a which i sent on the 28 10 2013...saying i seem to have been refused a interview.

even allowed you a bit more time,in the leaflet there is a noc form,did you fill this in and send it back?

no appeal to magistrates and a duty demand is issued automatically.

Last edited by warrior (14-11-2014 12:18 pm)

Board footera