Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-4-2014 7:49 am  #1

Day trip to france / belgum 21/04

Hello everyone , newbie here. Just done a baccy run to belgium 21/04, being a single male in a car I had a feeling I was going to get pulled. I had 5kg of hand rolling baccy and 1200 cigarettes.

Quite a few ukba staff present , asked me to stop;

Ukba officer: where have you been today sir?
Me: for a day trip to france and belgium
Ukba officer: what was the purpose of your trip?
Me: a shopping trip which I bought some french produce , belgium chocolates , cigarettes and baccy.
Ukba officer: how much tobacco are you carrying sir?
Me: 5kg amber leaf
Ukba officer: how often do you travel abroad?
Me: every few months as I got a house in france.however this is the first time I bought baccy on my trips.
Ukba officer: is this your car?
Me: yes
Ukba officer: how long have you owned it?
Me: comming upto 3 years.
Ukba officer: that's fine have a safe journey , goodbye

Been doing a bit of reading on the forum , will defently make a sot folder and invest in a voice recorder.

23-4-2014 8:36 am  #2

Re: Day trip to france / belgum 21/04

Welcome to the forums and nice to see an opening post where someone has returned with a reasonable amount of baccy & cigs intact http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Obviously you met an officer with a reasonable attitude - was this Dover or Coquelles?

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force may use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

30-4-2014 7:35 pm  #3

Hello people,
I just want to start by saying what a great resource this site is.I have been swotting up here for about the last month or so as I have been under the delusion that the baccy guide lines was still 3kgs.Yes I know the posters  are up all over the place,but when you think you know it you don't look.
Anyway when realising the problems I could face, I travel In the Tunnel twice a year,3 kgs each time,

I have invested in a Sony recorder & all the various forms that you advise.I was stopped about 4 years ago when 3 kgs was still acceptable & the way I was questioned made me feel like a criminal & then the officer said that my car could be forfeit,which set me off howling.Big Girls Blouse Syndrome i'm afraid.

So today,armed with spreadsheet ,SOT, FOI re recording & diligent counting of fags rolled per pack plus trusty recorder,I had a totally miserable day with my friend dreading coming home.

Stopped at Passport Control Coquelles & an eery voice from the back of booth called out "Can you open your rear window please?"

He asked where we had been ,reply supermarket for wine & Adinkerke for 3kgs hand rolling tobacco.I decided to state precisely how much frrom the start.I suspect he was alerted to the big black plastic bag holding tobacco,which I carefully placed on the mountain of wine,well within limits by the way.

I remember that you say to make it easily seen.He proceeded to ask questions about my car,if it was mine,how long had I owned it,which although perfectly civil,was vaguely threatening considering I had heard it put more baldly previously.

The upshot is we were told to proceed.Very nice of course & all recorded.The problem is if he had been persistent,I am not great with conflict,I guess most folks aren't,but at least I felt I had some backup with the info I had.

So in a nutshell.The guy had a job to do,& did it proficiently for my outcome.But a uniform makes me quiver like a jelly & not in a good way.I can see that this job makes Jobsworths & vindictive folk the happiest & most unpleasant people to meet.

I am thankful I was armed with some knowledge & resource with my trusty recorder & I thank you all ,from some peoples awful experiences ,& you knowledgable ones for all your sharing.

As a matter of interest,has anyone been victimised with a moderate ie 3-5 kgs armed with the aforementioned forms & recorder?

Yours forever grateful,& getting slightly tipsy with my loot from Calais Wine,
Deb

30-4-2014 7:55 pm  #4

I have been interrogated with less than half that amount,and armed with recording devices,always be o your toes,did you record the conversation at passport control? always recomended to switch on before you reach passport control.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

30-4-2014 8:03 pm  #5

Thanks Warrior.Yes switched it on whilst waiting in the queue.

Board footera