Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-7-2015 10:20 am  #1

How much do people regularly get through with no problems?

Obviously I'm not try to entrap anyone into revealing any illegal smuggling operations.

I'm trying to construct a defence and I want to know what sort of quantities people regularly bring through.

What ammounts can I bring through, no questions asked.

What can I bring through if I prepare an Advanced notification and prepare all my documents.

Is there any data I can draw on?

Basically I want to show that my biggest crime was being naive and believing the https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-eu-countries website.
I want to show that my crime is that of not being prepared in advance. If I had prepared then I would not be in this situation. And that they regularly let people through with similar ammounts.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

21-7-2015 1:44 pm  #2

Re: How much do people regularly get through with no problems?

There are no safe quantities!

You can just as easily have 1kg seized as 10kgs if you give the wrong answers.

I tend to think, and it is only my personal opinion as follows:-

1kg                  99% ok
2 0r 3               75%
3 to 5            it's 50/50

Over 5kgs the odds are starting to stack against you pretty heavily.
It also depends on when you last travelled. I know we have members who purchase 10kgs for them selves and spouse but they only travel once a year. 10 kgs amounts to around 14000 rollups ie aprox 40 per day between 2 persons. These members are clued up on the info they need to justify their purchase.

In my case I travel evry 6 or 8 weeks and could not possibly justify carrying large quantities.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

21-7-2015 1:53 pm  #3

So, my defence to the Magistrates will be to whow them that large ammounts are routinely let through customs. Is there a way I can show this with official figures?

Or is it simply a case that they do not record the times when people with 10kg are let through and so there will be no offical records?
This also means that there is no way to force the seizing officer to admit that he routinely allows people through with 10kg if they are prepared.

21-7-2015 2:19 pm  #4

petergriffin wrote:

So, my defence to the Magistrates will be to whow them that large ammounts are routinely let through customs. Is there a way I can show this with official figures?

Or is it simply a case that they do not record the times when people with 10kg are let through and so there will be no offical records?
This also means that there is no way to force the seizing officer to admit that he routinely allows people through with 10kg if they are prepared.

That won't work. That's like saying you were in a line of 6 cars and only you got nicked for speeding. It's not a defence.It's all down to convincing customs the goods are for your own use ( or the court)
I believe seizures are not recorded by the their quantities so the info you want is not available anyway.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

21-7-2015 2:26 pm  #5

How many magistrates are there in a case?

How often would they have heard similar cases?

21-7-2015 4:11 pm  #6

There are 3 magistrates plus a clerk. The clerk is the most important person as he is the only one with legal expertise.

Regarding quantities, I think you are going off on a tangent here. The guideline is 1 kg. As far as the law is concerned there are no limits so long as the goods are for your own use. As far as condemnation proceedings are concerned you must be able to justify the amount you had in your possession, taking account of your consumption rates, your previous travel and your financial means. The actual amount, is, in itself, of little relevance.

Hope this helps

21-7-2015 10:43 pm  #7

Thanks for the help.

My biggest issue is that all the tobacco was intended as gifts.

So not only have I lost the money I intended to gift I have to go and represent my self in court.

Your point about the quantity is very good though.
Thats the message to bang home.

29-7-2015 8:41 am  #8

Me and the missus get throuch quite comfortably with 6 packs of bacci each, they just wave you through with that amount. But we have seen people with bloody cages of the stuff, and even now I am wondering how f****** they do it!

Board footera