Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-5-2017 12:21 pm  #1

Pidou, Real, Tunnel with some important advice.

Went on a free trip courtesy of Pidou.  Excellent service, when I got there it was in a wheeled cage waiting for me. Paid my money, checked everything was there, and off I went.  that easy.

As noted in another thread, white and green springfield is £1 a packet cheaper than Yellow.  I do like Yellow, find green a bit harsh these days, have got some white to try. Glens is £7.50 now btw.

I will do the security/customs report backwards... So coming back told UKBF where I had been, why and how long since my last trip... I only just scrape over the "guidelines" and do not travel very often but he wanted to see for himself anyway.  He was really apologetic for wasting my time but hoped I would understand as apparently some folks lie.  Brilliant service, any UKBF reading this please learn to do this, your looking through our shopping and of course we understand why you are doing it, but that little apology does a lot to make up for what is basically a stop and search. So, 10/10 to that guy for showing us some humanity. Well done.

OK, on the way out and this is pretty important.  I thought something had gone on, cops everywhere. But no, the cops are doing the security and passport checks.  Make no bones about it, these guys are after criminals. You may well need to provide evidence your money came from legitimate means.  They want to know why you are crossing the border, I will say this once... do not tell them what you think they want to hear, tell them the truth... it should be obvious.  It should also be worth noting that they seem extremely in depth. In a short space of time they asked me at least every question that UKBF have asked me coming back in to the country.  I will not go into the questions they asked because a lot of them are obviously for security reasons. I did not mind at all, but it is worth forewarning folks that travel infrequently as they might mind a bit more if they carry large denominations of cash. All made me feel a lot more secure anyway.

Really great trip.

18-5-2017 9:29 am  #2

Re: Pidou, Real, Tunnel with some important advice.

NoMo

Glad you had a good trip and Pidou delivered on their offers. Useful info, good write-up.

Carrying cash out of the country is a comparatively recent topic for us. After I was contacted by 3 foreign residents who had had their cash seized, I looked into it and it seems if you are carrying £1000 cash or above it can be seized at will unless you have the evidence of where it has come from. I posted at the time that it was now advisable to carry ATM slips. It's always good to be reminded from time to time.

I can't quite see the point of the intense security around people leaving the UK other than for tracking individuals. I would have thought security should be stronger when entering the country.

As regards the BF being polite, I find the younger ones are so. The old hands with the sour faces who look like they are suffering with ulcers are the nasty ones. Interesting to note since you mentioned the police that they signed up to a code of practice last year requiring them to be polite to the public. BF did not!

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

18-5-2017 4:24 pm  #3

NoMo thanks for the info and glad the trip went well.

I too have had similar experiences (ie) the younger generation being more courteous, the older ones having a bit of attitude.

JMK

01-6-2017 10:25 pm  #4

I went on a coach trip yesterday to Adinkerke via the tunnel and yet again (last month it was the same) Border Force at Coquelles just 'waved us through' -in other words we all got off the coach at passport control without our shopping and then got back on after clearing the desks. I suspect that they might be far more willing to check people driving private cars - getting fifty people and their shopping off a coach and checking etc etc takes a while and uses man power. No evidence for that, they certainly have stopped the coach before I'm told, it's just my gut feeling.

But it was the last coach that this firm does before September (I assume tunnel prices rocket in season) and it was full of smokers buying large amounts at REAL without an SOT between them. Me with my laughable 3 kilos must have been one of the smaller purchases, the others on the coach were handing over £K's at the counter in cash. So I would have thought our coach would have been a prime target...an yes I did tell Lunatic House i was coming.

Last edited by The Blocked Dwarf (01-6-2017 10:26 pm)

"I, uh, let her out the trunk...heard what, err, She snarled at THEM...."

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

Board footera