Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2018 12:43 pm  #1

No customs union after brexit

May and her colleagues have stated categorically there will be no customs union after brexit. That means no personal imports of baccy etc and a return to duty free allowances of 5 pouches of baccy and so on.

In the meantime it has wiped about 1.5 eurocents off the pound.

The cost of keeping immigrants out, but only the legal ones!

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

06-2-2018 7:53 pm  #2

Re: No customs union after brexit

Well tbh Eezy, I'm surprised it's took so long for them to declare it. I think most of us knew that one of the first things to go would be the customs union. Lots more money for the exchequer from tobacco taxes. Wonder how long it'll be before the subsequent rise of white van man again with his huge stocks of bacci ?

If anyone thinks that it won't happen, I knew of a bloke in Hull a lot of years ago that used to go across regularly and factored-in that he would be stopped on average two out of every five trips and still made a killing !!! He used to go through tatty vans at a rate of knots that kept getting seized.

I can't really see that the detection rate has got any better, maybe it has but we will see.

I think it will be enough of an obstacle to make me think about stopping for good. Samson is now just over £23 for 50g in the UK so that would be over £50 a week plus papers and filters 

I am Homer of Borg, resistance is.............hmmmm doughnuts http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

06-2-2018 8:22 pm  #3

The question is when is Brexit? According to the proposed transitional arrangements, although it will nominally be outside the EU, the UK will remain in both Single Market and Customs Union at least until 30 December 2020.

06-2-2018 9:24 pm  #4

Personally I find it hard to see how ports like Dover can function without a Customs Union. Even with the use of ANPR they are not going to allow free passage especially to freight.

Even now you can barely get on to the check in area at Coquelles for queues.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

07-2-2018 3:46 am  #5

I know it is very confusing, but the customs union has nothing at all to do with tobacco from Belgium.  That comes under the guise of the single market, which is the free movement of goods and so on.  The customs union is an agreement we have with the rest of the customs union on what tariffs we charge to other countries.  It is a big part of the reason why some people wanted to leave the EU.  Some folks did not like being told what our steel tariffs for Chinese steel had to be as one example.  It also included regulations so for instance I think the big example at the moment is American Chicken. A good example of how regulations differ from inside the customs union to outside of it is how we treat our eggs. Eggs in USA have to be thrown away if kept out of the fridge for a few hours, where as in the customs union we sell ours from normal shelves.  Ours have a natural protected layer on them and the chickens are vaccinated against salmonella,  in the USA the protective layer is washed off in a chlorine bath and the chickens are not vaccinated. 

There are countries in the single market and not the customs union, such as Norway, and I am sure there is probably a country somewhere that is in the customs union and not the single market (although this would be a bit strange and can not think of one). 

I am sure you lot are talking about the single market though, which at the moment seems almost guaranteed we are about to leave (my record on forcasting the future ain't great).  To be honest there is a growing number of countries that have bought in to the neo-liberal free trade model and have looked at countries like China, that believe in a protectionist model and hate the idea of neo-liberal free trade, and the conclusion after this last 25 or 30 years is... free trade probably does not work that well.  Personally, I think it has more to do with the fact China has become the factory estate of the rest of the world and the rest of the world has become the shopping centre of Chinese goods.  But MRs May has been meeting a hell of a lot of Chinese business people both here and in China...  Now what is interesting is she suggests that she wants to do a free trade deal with China.  This is a bit insane as I think she is either missing the point that China do not do free trade deals, they hate them, or what is more likely she is just doing a spin number on the UK press who want some sound bites...  either way, we ain't gonna get a free trade deal with China unless we decide to become Chinese because there is no way in hell they would allow us to tell them how to run their country. 

Last edited by NoMoTax (07-2-2018 3:50 am)

07-2-2018 3:38 pm  #6

I would be the first to admit, lack of interest in EU matters = lack of knowledge on my part. Thanks

08-2-2018 7:46 pm  #7

Yep many people confuse Customs Union and Single Market. The former relates to Customs Duties (tariffs) charged on goods imported from outide the Union. However, It is the latter that allows free movement of goods (and people) across borders. Turkey has a customs union with EU, but is not part of SM and is unlikely to join in the near future.  Freedom of movement of Turkish people into the EU, would for obvious reasons, be highly controversial.

08-2-2018 10:08 pm  #8

eezyrider wrote:

I would be the first to admit, lack of interest in EU matters = lack of knowledge on my part. Thanks

Ditto  

I am Homer of Borg, resistance is.............hmmmm doughnuts http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

25-2-2018 5:38 pm  #9

Interesting posts NMT, TU.
The Labour Party are apparently backing staying in the Customs Union.
JMK

Board footera