Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-4-2013 8:04 am  #1

Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Just planning my holiday at present and driving down to Spain.

I have always used the ferries to cross to France (Dover - Calais) as I enjoy the boat trip, but am thinking about giving the shuttle a go.

By road, Folkestone is a little closer to London, and the journey on the shuttle is an hour less so it would seem to save some time, albeit that it is more expensive.

My question is have others compared the time for the two journeys, which is easier (ie) boarding and disembarking, getting from the shuttle to the motorways in France?

Any help appreciated.

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (17-4-2013 8:05 am)

17-4-2013 8:13 am  #2

Re: Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

using the tunnel can knock a hour off each journey,lots easier,less delays and a lot quicker,go at the right time and its cheap enough,£22 each way.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

17-4-2013 8:56 am  #3

Johny_MK wrote:

My question is have others compared the time for the two journeys, which is easier (ie) boarding and disembarking, getting from the shuttle to the motorways in France?

Any help appreciated.

JMK

Whilst Chunnel is dearer it's a lot easier - been taking car to France since 1965 and only use tunnel these days and book using Tesco Rewards.

As you complete formalities at departure you drive straight off shuttle and are on autoroute/motorway in about one mile.

Overall we find it a very slick operation http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Are you travelling from MK?

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force may use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

17-4-2013 11:58 am  #4

Thanks Warrior, Nadger.

No from London.  The MK is an abbreviation of my name, not Milton Keynes ;)

The key point is saving time, as the drive down to Spain gets verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy tiring, so now I am really interested. 

I was worried as I am so used to the ferries and just turning up, checking in to the departure lane and then boarding etc, so I am relieved to hear that boarding and disembarking is so easy on the shuttle.

What do you do when you are on the shuttle?  Just sit in the car?

Thanks.

JMK

PS How many Clubcard vouchers do you need for a crossing?

Last edited by Johny_MK (17-4-2013 11:59 am)

17-4-2013 1:59 pm  #5

You just sit in your car or stand and stretch legs. Remember on way out there's no duty reduced shopping.

Tesco Rewards are 3 times face value and go in £15 steps. Can be used as part payment.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force may use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

17-4-2013 3:48 pm  #6

Drive on, park, get out, scratch a little, walk up train a bit for novelty, walk back, rearrange contents of car, walk up train a little, scratch, get back in car and drive off...that's about how long it takes.....

I don't smoke; I just flame

17-4-2013 4:30 pm  #7

All that at 140 kph http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

17-4-2013 6:29 pm  #8

nadger wrote:

All that at 140 kph http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Multitasking made simple

17-4-2013 7:46 pm  #9

You forgot getting cavity searched by BF for the old HRT...

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

18-4-2013 8:15 am  #10

Nice one Nadger, Alcantara and mrc.

Very relieved to hear that you can get out and stretch the legs! 

Now, my Wife likes a Starbucks, Costa Coffee etc.  Is there a coffee shop at the terminal?  The other thing is can you smoke when you are on the shuttle?

Thanks.

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (18-4-2013 8:16 am)

18-4-2013 11:57 am  #11

No you can't smoke on the shuttle Johny but its only 25 mins to get through so not too bad, once they start loading you are on your way within 15 mins and yes you can get a decent coffee in the terminal area, also remember if your car is converted for gas you cannot travel on the shuttle for saftey reasons.

18-4-2013 4:03 pm  #12

Journey time is actually 35 minutes with 25 in tunnel http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Never go in terminals so rely on flask of coffee.

Another useful thing is 2 hour margin either side of booked time.

18-4-2013 7:41 pm  #13

mrc wrote:

Highly unlikely. If HRT was commonly concealed in arseholes, the goons would never need to leave the office.

http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0158.gif

UKBA can "manger la merde et mourir" if you'll excuse my french.

18-4-2013 8:22 pm  #14

Ewan Hoosami wrote:

mrc wrote:

Highly unlikely. If HRT was commonly concealed in arseholes, the goons would never need to leave the office.

http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0158.gif

And if they can find my Hormone Replacement Therapy up my arse...I guess I must using the French method of medicating,,,,,
Just sayin'

19-4-2013 7:29 am  #15

Tagman55 thanks for that. 

Nadger, just checked on the Eurotunnel website (everybody's help here is encouraging me to get to grips with this!) and that 2 hour window is really interesting.

P & O used to do this, I think it was up to 4 hours, on the ferries but they have now introduced Saver and Flexi fares.  The Saver fares which are cheaper do not allow any change in departure times.  The Flexi fares which do allow you to travel up to 4 hours either side of the departure time without additional cost are very similar in price to Eurotunnel.

JMK

19-4-2013 8:02 am  #16

Checking in has been by ANPR for a few years. Obviously you do need your reference number and card you paid with just in case.

You are given hanger, for mirror, with letter that indicates crossing. We time things right, so don't normally park up, and drive straight through to loading car park.

Should we have to park at terminal we do so in sight of person who checks people have appropriate letter and often get waived through early. Obviously this doesn't happen when things are really busy but they always try for maximum capacity on trains.

If you are outside 2 hour window you'll be given chance to pay extra and go straight through.

Been using Chunnel since last century so it's just routine these days http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

19-4-2013 9:26 am  #17

Nadger, time is everything on the trip to Spain so I appreciate the heads up.

Now, this may sound stupid BUT by the time I have driven from London I will very likely want to visit the little boys room.  I am assuming that once on the shuttle there are no facilities available?  So if you collect your hanger, and drive straight through to the loading car park are there any facilities there for a comfort break?

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (19-4-2013 9:27 am)

19-4-2013 10:49 am  #18

There are loos on shuttle

As we have longer journey we do stop at Maidstone services.

21-4-2013 6:59 am  #19

Thanks again Nadger!

Maidstone services is a good place to stop.

My personal favourite on the journey from Dover to London is Clacket Lane on the South side of the M25.  Plenty of parking and space to stretch your legs, shops etc..

21-4-2013 8:08 am  #20

Just exchanged some more Tesco vouchers so next crossing is now paid for - when booked http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

System has now changed and one gets an e-token. Much better as one no longer needs to use Special Delivery at Post Office.

Purely give e-token number when booking - booking has to be by phone.

Board footera