Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-1-2014 3:12 pm  #1

Nice return trip

Came back from my week away in Luxembourg a week or so ago.  First time through an airport, me and the ex-missus had our walk-on luggage filled to the brim with cheap-ish baccy, recorders and SOTs at the ready.  Stopped at the exit, asked where we had been, replied 'Luxembourg, for the cheap baccy' and got waved through.  Soooo much more civilised than Dover or Calais!

For anyone who is interested, Luxembourg comes highly recommended as a place to visit from myself, with cheap train trips to Trier and Metz also getting two thumbs up, even if the Luxemborgians seem to prefer speaking French or English, even when I was determined to practice my mediocre German.

Baccy-wise, Lux was actually more expensive than Belgium for HRT, by about 50p a pouch.  But the holiday was the main thing, and still a massive saving on the UK.  No proper baccy warehouses in Luxembourg City, even the tobacconists have only very limited stocks of HRT, but all UK brands readily available.  I would recommend K Kiosk, a chain of newsagents, who have a large branch at the main railway station.  After I had bough 3 1/2 kilos of GV, the ex found that her order of 4 k could not be done, so they got her order in the next day, put aside behind the counter for when we got back from Trier, and refused to take advance payment.  Said any amounts could be got on 24 hours notice, not a problem!  Salesman could not believe the amount we had saved compared to UK prices!

NH Hotel (100 yards from the airport) is a really nice, quiet, and cheap hotel (arm and a leg for the breakfast, but really good if you are, like me, something of a pig), and ten minutes by bus from the town centre.

And I am not on any sort of commission business from NH nor K Kiosk!

Will most certainly be returning to Luxembourg City in the summer.

06-1-2014 10:11 pm  #2

Re: Nice return trip

glad you had a good trip.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

13-1-2014 11:36 am  #3

Re: Nice return trip

Actually, just checked the HRT prices.  Lux is cheaper than Belgium if you pay in Euros, but they don't give the Belgian made-up-on-the-spot exchange rates, so it works out more in £ sterling.  If you usually buy baccy in Belgium in Euros, then Lux is a lot better, if you pay in £ sterling in Belgium then Lux works out more expensive, but still a third of UK rip-off prices.

Board footera