Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-3-2015 4:37 pm  #1

Amount of tobacco/cigarettes likely to be seized?

Hi. 

Me and my gf are looking to go to Belgium on a day trip to bring some smokes over (for personal use obviously!). She smokes cigarettes, and I smoke rolling tobacco.

I think we'll be going through dover, over to France and into Belgium for the day trip.

What we were wondering, is what is the likelyhood that we will be searched? And then, if we are unfortunate enough to be stopped, what is the ammount at which they'll start to suspect us buying for commercial purposes and seize our goods?

I know they say you will be subjected to further questioning after 800 cigaretttes and 1kg of tobacco, but I don't mind answering questions! It's the seizing of our goods I'm concerned about so I'd like to know if anyone can give me advice on how much we can bring without geting them taken.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

10-3-2015 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Amount of tobacco/cigarettes likely to be seized?

dazandlou wrote:

Hi. 

Me and my gf are looking to go to Belgium on a day trip to bring some smokes over (for personal use obviously!). She smokes cigarettes, and I smoke rolling tobacco.

I think we'll be going through dover, over to France and into Belgium for the day trip.

What we were wondering, is what is the likelyhood that we will be searched? And then, if we are unfortunate enough to be stopped, what is the ammount at which they'll start to suspect us buying for commercial purposes and seize our goods?

I know they say you will be subjected to further questioning after 800 cigaretttes and 1kg of tobacco, but I don't mind answering questions! It's the seizing of our goods I'm concerned about so I'd like to know if anyone can give me advice on how much we can bring without geting them taken.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

there is no safe amount, even if you bring guidelines amount it can be seized if not for personal use. I would`t look for safe amount to bring back (one does`t exist), just bring back whatever will last you until your next trip. If they seize your goods go as far as you need to to prove they were wrong. I have been there, since than they don`t stop me any more (it may change one day, it may not, but I will cause as much hassle as possible if stopped)  
so if your goods are for personal use you should`t be afraid of them.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

10-3-2015 5:32 pm  #3

dazandlou, you could prepare a statement of truth and also work out your cigarette and tobacco consumption.
If this is your first trip, be cautious with the quantities you buy and use the trip as a learning experience. 
That said, it should be a fun experience for you, so enjoy the day and don't concern yourself too much with being stopped. 

JMK

10-3-2015 6:09 pm  #4

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

So, what would you say the chances of being stopped are? Or is everyone being stopped coming from Belgium through Calais?

I'm now considering flyying to Spain. It wob't cost much more, and I know the checking won't be as rigorous!

10-3-2015 6:35 pm  #5

dazandlou wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

So, what would you say the chances of being stopped are? Or is everyone being stopped coming from Belgium through Calais?

I'm now considering flyying to Spain. It wob't cost much more, and I know the checking won't be as rigorous!

no one can tell whats the chances. I have never been stopped in 8 years(used to bring back 10 sleeves), and the day I was coming back with 57 sleeves of cigarettes I was stopped and cigarettes were seized.
Spain is more expensive than Belgium. If you wanna fly check tickets to Poland, you can get GV for £6-£6.50 and Marlboro for about £28. £ is strong now against PLN you get about 5.60 PLN for 1 GBP now.
I have never been through port but in the airport there is some day when there is no chech and some days when there is plenty of them looking for easy targets.if you fly they can xray your check-in luggage without you knowing it, so they would know before you pick it up if they need to stop you or not.

Last edited by piotrek (10-3-2015 6:38 pm)

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

10-3-2015 7:39 pm  #6

I might be going to Poland in a few weeks for UFC, but otherwise it'll be much more for the flight than it is to Barcelona so although Poland may be cheaper, it'd still work out best going to Barca I think.

Cheers

10-3-2015 7:51 pm  #7

Sory, one more thing: what do you mean by statement of truth? 

I'm new to this so I apologise for my clear lack of knowledge!

regards

11-3-2015 5:46 am  #8

You're obviously knew to the board, as we all were at some point, so the best bit of advice I can give you is to check out these two sections and digest the information in them :-

http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=49

http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=34

Ther is just about everything you need in there to prepare for your trip.

I would also suggest buying a personal recorder. Even if it isn't 100% guaranteed to stop BF seizing your goods, as soon as you mention that you are recording the stop, they are a lot less likely to act arrogantly when they know every word is being captured.

I am Homer of Borg, resistance is.............hmmmm doughnuts http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

03-5-2015 5:54 am  #9

Advice is if your telling the truth, which from your post it sounds like you're going to try and se'll some.. expect to be pulled, you'll look shifty and they will spot you a mile off and relieve you of your goods unless you prepare all the various documents and are prepared to argue your case for a couple of hours.. if you are legitimately buying for your own use then 3kg probably the ceiling taking cost and what an average Joe can reasonably afford to shell out.

Board footera