Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-12-2014 9:41 pm  #41

Re: Cigarettes detained

Yes my thoughts are they are jerking you around.
Surely they made an appointment time for the interview, or did they just let you turn up and hope it was not his day off.
Their intention is to wind you up and get you agitated before the interview in the hope you will lose your temper and not be able to think straight.
They are just devious ***** ( insert you own choice of profanity).

Please ensure you do not divulge any  information which could identify you as Border Force may take your posts here and attempt to quote parts of them out of context in court in order to try to discredit you.

18-12-2014 9:48 pm  #42

this is ridiculus,when i returned for a delayed interveiw everything was confirmed, double checked with the ukbf on duty at time,and a time day that suited both of us was agreed upon then an appointment made.

The officer in my case was actually based quite a way away from the actual port were she was on duty at the time of detention,but she was there on time the appointment was made for.

This is another case of the ukbf at dover having no consideration for people,a complaint is certainly called for in this case.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

18-12-2014 10:15 pm  #43

And not forgetting they are one step in front of you 'cos they are monitoring your movements through the forum!

That is the peril of having an open forum but that is the way we work.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

19-12-2014 10:43 am  #44

We were successful at the interview! (grin)

We have destroyed them (devious), but ukbf caused us a LOT OF TROUBLE, and surely we will think about making a complaint on how ukbf dealt with us. Will post details when we come back to Ireland - these are really worth sharing! At the moment we are wreck tired waiting 8 hours now for next ferry departing at 14:45 (which is deleyed by 30 mins due severe weather conditions), but a bit happier...
Thank you very, very much for your help, we would not make it without your support and N2D!

Last edited by seb1k (07-1-2015 1:28 am)

19-12-2014 10:47 am  #45

well done,it was worth it in the end and i am sure you are happy you went through the ordeal.

20-12-2014 9:42 am  #46

Good result, makes it worth the effort.

07-1-2015 1:26 am  #47

All the best in 2015 to You all.

Despite initial hype after an interview, our story does not have a happy ending yet. I've received a call from ukbf...

Officer (the same that have detained our ciggs) called me on 1st Jan short after 9 in the morning http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png
 and told, our goods are waiting for us in Dover and invited me to collect them within 30 days. If I will not show up in Dover within these 30 days, goods will be considered abandoned... I've answered that as per information from interviewer we will not have to come to Dover any more (I have it recorded) He replied there is no decission to post them... He also told me that they didn't know we are coming and I supposed to arrange an interview with him. When he contacted me on 15th Dec, he said all I have to do is to call Dover station, leave message and person I'll be talking to will email him (again, I have it recorded)
Our conversation took about 20 minutes and finally I asked him if I can speak to senior officer. After about 1 hour senior officer called me and explained they are not allowed to send cigarettes by post, they did look into it but it can't be done. I've said this is very inconvenient as I'm based in Ireland and I was already at interview but goods were not there. He replied they didn't know I coming... I spoke to him for 10 mins and at the end he offered me if I let ukbf know within those 30 days when I can collect my goods they will arrange that for me. Although he didn't specify time limit...

This is just ridicilous...

Underneath what happened in Dover in shortcut (I hope)
When we came to Dover Docs it was already 18:00. Our flight was delayed over one hour, additionally we spent two hours in huge traffic jam just to enter Dover. Once we arrived I met police officer and asked for direction to ukbf station. Luckily he brought us inside, perhaps otherwise we wouldn't even enter the door... ukbf senior officer approached us, we've explained the situation and said we are ready for interview. She asked us who did we arranged this interview with. I replied I don't know this person's name, neither number, but I have it recorded and can provide exact time I called. She replied there is many operators on site and it's impossible to find out who we talked to ... She then looked at the phone I was holding in hand and said, she will not deal with us because she is not familiar with the details, and case officer is not on site. We have to wait until 22:00 when his duty starts.

At this point we had to decide
1. Wait almost 4 hours for case officer, miss Ferry at 2:45 Pebroke-Rosslare, arrange (read pay) two more nannies for our children (next Ferry at 14:45), spend night in car, pay amendment fee and God knows what else
2. Leave, catch Ferry, eventually become branded as smugglers.

We've chosen first option and after 4 hours we were invited by two officers for an interview. I started recording right away in arrivals waiting room and when I asked if it is ok to record, one of them said "No", the other one "No, unless you have a dual recording system that takes two copies bla bla bla" LOL. I laughed and replied, "you can't stop me, it's in your procedure I can record an interview with my mobile phone, video camera etc" - both remained silent for few moments. I've asked then for their numbers, one of them even said his name to my suprise.
I also asked where is case officer and the reply was not on duty today...
We were then interviewed. 20 minutes in the interview we've asked for smoking break, and after further 15 minutes for another one. Once we came back officer told us he he looked into what we've told him and he is satisfied the goods are for our own use and on this occasion they are not seized. Unfortunately our cigarettes are not on site today as ukbf did not know we are coming http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png
. They were taken away and possibly destroyed. My wife asked if we will have to come again here, the officer said "No"
I can post all transcripts if you think this will be usefull to someone. Although this may take a while.
He read us all his notes, we've corrected lot of them. They were, I believe, intentionally full of mistakes. At the end officer invited us to sign notebook, we've smiled...
Once all was done we've asked for and got a copy of the officer's notebook and took off (bit happier).

This trip cost us substantial amount of money and a lot of effort. On the other hand I'm aware it's nothing when you compare it to a lot of shoppers who have both their goods and vehicles seized and often fined simply because they don't know how to defend themselves and are not prepared.

What I'm thinking now is, as conclusion, does ukbf have a right to dictate what happens next? In relation to restoring goods as in my case. They clearly screw it up and want me to pay even more for their mistakes...

07-1-2015 9:27 am  #48

quite unusual for your goods not to be present on your return interbeiw,they shouls have had them there while the interveiw was carried out.

It is looking like they really didn't expect you to return,shows just how arrogant the dover ukbf are.

When i returned to hull for an interveiw,the ukbf kept me informed as to times and kept their appointment,produced my detained goods in a sealed bag at the time of the interveiw.

I doubt your goods will have been destroyed,they may have got sort of 'lost' this happens quite a lot in dover.

I would be complaining to the highest levels,you have the recordings as proof,also the fact they said you cannot record obviously they dont know their own procedures.

07-1-2015 12:13 pm  #49

Would you not fall foul of Irish Customs if you did find someone to post them to you?

Posted excise goods generally have to be duty paid in the destination state. If that was not the case you would be better posting the goods from Belgium to your home in the first place thereby avoiding customs.

I would guess that's why customs can't post the goods to you.

31-7-2015 10:56 am  #50

Hello again,

On July 27th our case was finally sorted (in terms of getting our goods back)

I've arranged cigarettes collection back in January and to my suprise ukbf did not cause to much trouble any more.
I only had to make few phone calls and explain myself over and over again to bunch of different officers but at the day of collection it took less than 30 mins to get the goods and leave Dover. Off course officers we dealt with on 27th were trying to make our lives harder but they've got no option but to restore our cigs and let us go go without further hindrance.

Thank you so much once again for all your great support and keep it up.

31-7-2015 3:24 pm  #51

Glad you got sorted in the end.

Board footera