Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-4-2016 7:25 pm  #1

SOT - 3 versions here. You choose what's best for you.

Forum users will notice that there are various versions of the SOT or Statement of Truth throughout the site. The whole subject has become scruffy and disjointed so here is an attempt to tidy up and summarise the subject. There are 3 main versions. All have been tried and tested and in that respect are acceptable by Customs and would hold as evidence in a court of Civil Litigation. 

Let's call them as follows:- 
Version 1. The complete SOT by The Blocked Dwarf.

Version 2. The N2d SOT by Smoking Hot.

Version 3. The Frequent Traveller SOT(eezyrider)

The object of the SOT is when a traveller is stopped, he hands over the SOT to hopefully avoid the matter going to a full interview. It has worked for several of us but it is not a ''get out of jail free card''.

To serve this purpose the SOT must contain all the evidence required to satisfy Customs that the goods are legitimate. This includes - Details of the trip and purchases, calculations of how long the goods will last and other relevant info. The SOT must include the a-j questions and your answers. It can be beneficial to include info that proves you can afford the goods. 

However it has to be said that the more info that you supply does not necessarily mean that any one is better than the other. It depends on your take on the subject. Some may say a full SOT leaves nothing to chance. Others say the less info you provide means the less evidence Customs can use against you, providing of course there is sufficient for the purpose. 

The SOT must be exactly that – the truth. If it is not the chances are you will be shot down. You must know exactly what is on it and fully understand it. Bear in mind that anything handed over or said, to a customs officer whether it be classed as hearsay or not, can be used as evidence in civil litigation. 

Examples Version 1. If you like to dot the i's and cross the t's this is the ultimate in completeness for a SOT. It contains all the information you could imagine. 

Version 2. This is the first and original N2d SOT. The other 2 versions are a variation on this one. 

Version 3. It contains the bare essentials to satisfy Customs when accompanied with n2d trip log and usage calcs sheet.Some may say it is not a true SOT, however it was tested and described by the Director General of Border Force as a ''statement of fact''. The advantage of V3 is that it does not have to be rewritten for every trip. The trip log can be easily updated by hand for every trip. The usage calcs would have to be changed for different amounts OR do as I do and enter a sample amount of the goods, say 1kg or 200 cigs and keep the same calc sheet for each trip. This shows the purchase cost, savings and how long the goods would last per kg/200 cigs. 

Having hopefully summarised the SOT it is up to the user to choose which version suits him best. It is permissible to use a joint SOT for a couple, simply change the 'I's and 'me's to 'Us' and 'we'   

http://n2d.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=183 version 1  

SOT (MS WORD) version2

Frequent traveller SOT  version 3 

Trip Log

CigarettesTobacco and or -

Tobacco Based on Days Use per Pouch

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

27-8-2016 4:14 pm  #2

Re: SOT - 3 versions here. You choose what's best for you.

So I have adapted as SOT, where can I download a copy of the UKBF Interview guidelines? I last travelled in June and was stopped at Gatwick with aprox 4000 cigs. My husband and I were allowed to keep them but told if we were stopped again in a year even a pack of 20 would be taken off us. Will the SOT help with this? I am flying out next week and have to use Gatwick again. We go twice a year to visit our daughter in Zante and the savings we make from the cigarettes pay for the cost of the holiday. 
I have emailed UKBF to complain, they did not reply in my favour so I escalted the complaint but am yet to receive a reply 6 weeks later.
Does any one have any advice please? 

27-8-2016 5:26 pm  #3

Re: SOT - 3 versions here. You choose what's best for you.

You need SOT, usage calcs and I would include trip logs going back 2 years if your trips were at the same intervals. Do not exclude any other trips abroad or they may find out and then you will have a problem.

If you both smoke and can establish that, and if you smoke around 20 cigs per day, then that is 100 days supply each. So 100 days from June 1st takes you to about Sept 9th at which point you will have no stock left if my calcs are right. You need to back this up with your paperwork.

Have a look through the list of FOI's and copy any that may be relevant to you such as interviewing couples together. There is also one there about civil interview guidelines which proves that you can record interviews, a very essential tool if you are stopped.If you are inclined to do so a bank statement showing sufficient funds will also help.

Make sure you have at least 2 copies of everything.

Complaints about threats are best sent to your MP but you are unlikely to get any satisfaction.

Other than that there is very little further advice that can be added to your previous topic on the matter.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

Board footera