Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-8-2017 9:33 am  #1

Applying a bit of logic to the cost of my shopping trips.

I see some prices are up again in Adinkerke, no doubt due to the abysmal state of sterling.

I'm just doing some calcs on my regular purchase of Cafe Creme. I see they have increased from £4.40 to £4.95. Like for like they are still less than half the price of UK prices, but .............................. I can buy a cheaper alternative in Asda for £7.17. 

I would be saving £2.22 per 20 by buying in Adinkerke or, £406.26 over the year. Add to that I would probably have to do 3 or 4 trips a year to safely bring back that amount and I would be showing a loss. Unless I brought back a shedload of booze and even then I would only just about break even. Add to that wear and tear on the car of a 450 mile round trip....and so on.

I wonder if others have applied this logic and decided it's just not worthwhile any more and hence the reason we do not get calls for help these days?

The exchange rate would need to improve substantially for things to get better and I don't see that happening at all let alone within the next 2 years.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

31-8-2017 4:18 pm  #2

Re: Applying a bit of logic to the cost of my shopping trips.

I think that you are spot on here Eezy.
I have been saying for some time that the UK supermarket offers on wine (ie) buy 6 save 25% diminish the savings on purchases from Calais Wine etc (in some cases to £0.50p a bottle).  To justify a trip would take a van load + which is way more than what most people buy.  I do take a punt on the cheaper £2.00 wines they have and that makes some sense as there are no real UK equivalents.  The whole trip was always predicated on going to Adinkerke first where the savings were substantial.  These only apply to HRT now.
Trips to Poland still make a lot of sense, even with a fall of near 25% in the exchange rate.
Ultimately, the exchange rate has become a bigger barrier than the hassle from UKBF.

JMK

31-8-2017 10:20 pm  #3

JMK

Talking of £2 wines have you tried JP's Vin Rose? £11 per case at Pidou. I find it has a very ''neutral'' taste, some might say lacking a definitive flavour. Suitable for meal times or just social drinking. I always bring a few cases back.
http://www.pidou.com/wine/j-p-chenet-rose.html?___SID=U

Another I tried last time was Canti Rose. Stronger flavour, slightly ''sour'' I would say, rather than dry. I think that was also £11 per case.

Bear in mind though I'm not a connoisseur and probably would not know a 20 quid bottle from plonk 

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

01-9-2017 12:18 pm  #4

No, I haven't although I will
I think these make a lot of sense
https://www.calaiswine.co.uk/offers/shop-for
I can recommend:
Vina Unzaga Red Declassified Rioja £1.99
Hardys Arrival Chardonnay £1.99
Banrock Station Columbard Chardonnay £2.79
Rioja Crianza Berberana Carta de Oro £2.99 (cheap!)

The last two are available here at £4.99 and £12.75 respectively, so a good saving.

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (01-9-2017 12:19 pm)

01-9-2017 2:05 pm  #5

Tried Banrock a long time ago I think. Quite pleasant. Not tried the others but did have a few cases of Hardy's Anniversary at the right price. Again quite pleasant.

01-9-2017 2:37 pm  #6

I would try this Sauvignon Blanc too, for £1.99

https://www.calaiswine.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=pinto

JMK

12-9-2017 11:32 am  #7

The pound at €1-07 last week has forced yet more increases on goods in Adinkerke. Most products are up 10 or 20p again. Springfield green now £4-30 and GV @ £8-50.

Over the last couple of days sterling has gained about 4 cents so pray that it continues or at least holds the gain and this might stabilise prices. Currently there is very little difference between the exchange rates and Pidou's conversion rate of €1-10 for in store wine purchases but hopefully they will soon offer a better exchange rate thereby reducing prices.

12-9-2017 6:31 pm  #8

pidou down to 1.10 so making everything more expensive ,plus no offers on the wine we buy.

think the springfield green is around £5.30 now.

Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

12-9-2017 7:34 pm  #9

warrior wrote:

pidou down to 1.10 so making everything more expensive ,plus no offers on the wine we buy.

think the springfield green is around £5.30 now.

You're correct, my mistake! Spring field is £5-30

15-9-2017 5:42 am  #10

Bit of relief as the € slips to 0.88p. 

JMK

15-9-2017 12:22 pm  #11

Johny_MK wrote:

Bit of relief as the € slips to 0.88p. 

JMK

Welcome news indeed. Although the analysts I'm looking at think it is just a spike and the pound will tumble again when the markets realise it's bluff on the part of the B.O.E. to bring down inflation. They could be right, after all, it's very rare Carney and Co talk up the pound.

Might be a good time to get euros if you need them but who knows...........

09-10-2017 1:43 am  #12

Very good thread this. My own calcs are hrt. Springfield white is £5.20, but they knock a quid off if you buy a sleeve of 10 at the moment (making it £5.10). I love this tobacco, started finding the green and yellow a little harsh for some reason. I really struggle with tobacco and am very finicky over the stuff. Do not be surprised if sometime in the future I fall out of love with it, but really can not see that happening. 

In the shops in England, I really only like amber leaf.  When you could buy smaller packs I would try a few out, but honestly if I had to fork out for 30g I would probably just go with amber leaf as it is a bit much to fork out.  In reality, a search of tesco for "roll your own" shows me that I can get sterling for £16.19, I would not like it though, and would buy the amber leaf at £19.57.... which is 14.47 more expensive that my springfield white. At 1kg this equates to  £289.40 which makes it worth going. 

Because I drink, it was easy for me to justify the move from beer to wine.  JP is currently £2 a bottle, I only used to have a couple of cans of john smiths in the house. Here is some maths... 
2 x John Smiths @ cheapest deal in tesco is 78p a can so £1.56 = 3.2 Uk Units of Alc.
1/3 a bottle of 12% JP Red from pidou = 67p = 3 Uk Units of Alc.
Saving 89p a night.

Also, I have found folks really seem to like them as birthday and xmas presents and it has now become my gift of choice. I really recommend wine as a gift, but, stick with JP as like what eezy said it is very neutral and goes down very well.  Also those boxes of Le Cuvier Rose are fine and fun, 10.5% and should keep in the fridge for a few weeks if you can stay away from it. £5.45 for 3L. That is the same as 4 bottles @ £1.36 a bottle.  Certainly grab at least one box to try as I bet you someone will enjoy it at xmas.

Talking of xmas, a lot of people buy spirits for xmas even if they normally do not, and while they are not cheaper in France due to the exchange rate they do count towards your bill (beer doesn't) when pre ordering with Pidou.  Worth keeping in mind because if you reach £250 with wine and spirits they pay for your trip. You would need to do some maths to work out if it is worth paying £13.64 for baileys when you can get it at Sainsburys for £12.

As a wine drinker and HRT smoker who is willing to load the car with bottles the savings are still there for me, but not for everyone that's for sure.

09-10-2017 1:08 pm  #13

My problem with filling the car up with wine is where to store it when I get home. The garage and shed are chokka.

The house is so full it's fit to burst 

Nevertheless I'm away next week and will bring back at least a dozen cases, maybe more. I've never been much of a wine drinker but I suddenly realised a few weeks ago that I was not enjoying Vodka which I have drunk for many years. Just 2 or 3 of a late evening, albeit large ones So I now have a new found enjoyment in wine.

On the subject of prices and credit cards as per the other thread, I am regularly bombed with junk mail from a well known credit card co. I noticed this time there was reference to travelling abroad. Foreign purchases and cash withdrawals with no fees or interest. Having not applied for anything credit in the last 20 odd years, and having nothing better to do, I filled in the online application. Within 5 minutes I had a Platinum card with substantial buying power. It won't be through in time for this trip but maybe try it out next time. On the basis of what I have read I should be able to draw cash at the inter bank rate rather than tourist rate.

The cutoff point for buying in euros is about €1.07. If it drops less than that which is unlikely, you are better buying in pounds. But at least it saves carrying cash through customs and you can instantly prove they were your funds.

09-10-2017 6:46 pm  #14

It is a difficult subject really, because I would not normally want to be advising anyone on a low income to get a credit card, and generally speaking I would advise they paid in pounds rather than euros.  But given that if you are on low income then apparently UKBF thinks that is evidence then it might be worth it for some people.  One thing needs saying here though, just in case someone reading this is on a low income maybe thinking of making the journey, they do not need a credit card, just draw the cash you need from a machine, get a receipt, it turns the cash in your pocket into a traceable avenue.  They can see how the money goes into an account, and your cash machine receipts shows it coming out.  Of course it goes without saying keep the receipts for your purchases too.

10-10-2017 6:25 pm  #15

NMT, I like the detail in your post and your calculations.  I firmly believe that this type of approach is helpful to know during a stop by UKBF.
I now have records going back 17 years of how many cigarettes I have smoked each day, year and so on.  I keep my own trip reports which are numbered too.
Moving on, I am a wine drinker, on average 375ml a night.  I use a thimble measure from Amazon.  It's supposed to stop me from drinking too much.  It works up to the point when I am cooking a large joint as a two hour wait will see me consume the bottle   I will usually follow this with a couple of whiskies again using a thimble measure to keep them singles.
I used to pay in cash, although don't bother now.  I like the convenience of credit cards and whilst I accept that I probably pay £20 - £25 more pre trip, for me, it's worth it.

JMK

11-10-2017 10:31 am  #16

As regards credit cards, NoMo has a valid point. But I am a believer in the philosophy that all adults should be responsible for their own actions. I have used CC's all my life but rarely has a balance passed over to the next month. If you can't handle CC's don't have them.

One thing I guess that could be added to the above wine calcs is the free travel offered by Pidou. They have reduced the minimum spend to qualify to £250. Let's say you buy 100 bottles at £2-50 per bottle, total £250 and get a free ticket worth £60, that brings your average per bottle down to £1-90 so saving 60p per bottle and thereby trivialising the issue of a few pence saving on the exchange rate.

I hope to make use of this offer next time I book.

11-10-2017 2:46 pm  #17

Exactly, by the way I notice Pidou this morning have moved to 1.12, and made the JP 1.95.

Calcs are really important, it is why I started going again in the first place eighteen months ago. To be honest I am quite amazed how few British cars make the journey, and yes I know a lot of the folks buying huge loads regular have gone.  But still, you would think with these savings folks would actually make the journey. Even at the guidelines and not being a very heavy smoker I have saved myself over £1250 on the tobacco I have smoked since getting my passport renewed. I have saved about another £500 or so on wine. £1750 in 18 months and the majority of that has been since the Brexit vote and the bad quid.

11-10-2017 5:23 pm  #18

Eezy, CWS have had the £250.00 offer for some time.  P & O or Eurotunnel. 

https://www.calaiswine.co.uk/travel-offers/compare-travel-offers?gclid=CjwKEAjwgvfOBRD7_IDSuP3znTwSJAB4_t6G7YVR0x__VvQRuiXNg_q9MqVnNuJ2crOmeftfRblOxBoCa-Lw_wcB

I like the idea of adding back the benefit of free travel to savings.

I agree with your sentiment regarding credit cards.  For me though, being self employed, there have been times when we have had to live on them.  They are very useful and a part of modern business life. 

NMT, way to go!  I always total my savings comparing the price I have paid with the lowest available through a UK supermarket using this site:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

As a general indication, and I am sure some of the other posters have probably saved more, I am substantially into 5 figures on savings from overseas shopping.

I am sure in some parts of the UK I could buy a house with the amount I have saved.  My wife and daughter were both heavy smokers, my son in law, who owns five houses in London, too tight to buy a packet of fags of his own, and my sons always happy to take a case of wine for free have meant plenty of trips in the past.

We have all now largely switched to vaping.  This costs me around £10 per week here:

https://www.vapour.com/mods/?over=true

The point is that if you know what you are saving then you know it's still worthwhile.  People have said to me over the years "Yeah, that's all died out, not worth going".  Utter b******s.

JMK

Last edited by Johny_MK (11-10-2017 5:25 pm)

12-10-2017 9:35 am  #19

I didn't know Calais Wines did the free travel but I have only used them once or twice. To be honest I found them a bit more upmarket than Pidou, with more expensive quality wines.

It suits us better with our itinerary to use the Dunkirk Pidou, 2 mins off the A16, and then pop round to Auchan, a further 5 mins away. Out of Auchan the A16 is about 200m away and then back to the tunnel.

18-10-2017 7:59 am  #20

Another one to add to the wine list for fans of Hardy's. 

Pidou have a new rose called The Riddle. It is currently £1-99. It's a Shiraz, quite drinkable but for me, it has a slightly bitter after taste.

Board footera