Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-10-2017 2:28 pm  #1

Our latest trip.

Went over via the tunnel on Monday. Very few cars and it seemed that they had cancelled the train before probably due to lack of numbers.
Only hold up going to Addy was a broken down lorry reducing the m/way to one lane. Otherwise very little traffic. Adinkerke was a ghost town. Nobody in the old shop and one person serving. Wondered around to XL and only 4 (UK) cars on the carpark there. The cafe in the main street seemed to be closed up.

Minor delays due to roadworks on the A16 going back. Stopped at Pidou Dunkirk to load up with wine. I noticed quite a few products that are not on their website, on the shelves. Alternatives to the popular stuff like Canti and Zinfandel. Took the opportunity this time to pay in euros by credit card to see if the ''no foreign transaction fees'' works and to check the exchange rate. The total debit on my card is within 30p of what I would have paid in cash sterling, so pleased to see that works well. Saves carrying cash in future. Was also offered a Pidou loyalty card which according to warrior is well worth it. In future, providing they don't up the min order, I will make up a pre-order to get the free travel on the tunnel.

Went around to Auchan for a bit of shopping and refreshment and then back to the tunnel. Saw no migrants on the road this time, just a few walking in to Auchan.

Got to the tunnel early so got an earlier train. Got to the French customs just as 7 armed soldiers were setting up positions in front of us. Once through the French customs we were pulled to go through the vehicle scanner. That's fun. 2 French customs officers who could not speak English and you have to position your left-hand wheels on a track not much wider than the tyre. Handbrake off, out of gear and engine running (I think that's what he said), a bit dodgy with my auto if it had slipped into gear 
He then beckoned to get out and go along the walkway at the side. I crossed over the track as beckoned and got told to walk around the end of it.

For once no questions at Border Force.

Overall they must be feeling the pinch in Adinkerke with the lower exchange rates. Furthermore if there is a ''hard brexit'' duty free will come back. Will they survive?

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png
Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

17-10-2017 5:46 pm  #2

Re: Our latest trip.

certainly not looking good, were there any offers at real tabac?

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

17-10-2017 6:30 pm  #3

Nope, not really.

They had some brown ale on offer at 60p per bottle and Glen's vodka still £8-30. The usual selection of beers but didn't see anything worthwhile.

27-10-2017 7:36 am  #4

I went last week and the first thing I noticed was our coach was half empty (normally it's packed) and none of the 'big hitters' (ie those who seem to buy what , even for me, would be a year's supply everytime they go) on board.

Chunnel was packed , half term having started some places I think. We missed our 09:00 connection due to problems on the M25 and had to wait until 12:00 for the next free space. 

Arriving in Adinkerke most went to the old shop and I walked round the corner to the new 'village'. I was surprised to find it almost empty and the staff almost (and politely) fighting among themselves who should serve us. Do they get a commission, cos that was the atmosphere between the two behind the counter.

Adinkerke, what we saw of it, seemed a bit quieter than usual but not massively so.

Eaze, don't think the exchange rates really play much of a role. I never pay them no mind (especially paying sterling) . Tobacco is £15 a pouch in France , £21 here and £7.50 in Adinkerke that's all anyone needs to know . A few quid either way on exchange rates isn't going to discourage Xborder shoppers , so I suspect the 'quietness' of Real is down to something else...no idea what though.

And after Brexϟϟhite we'll be fortunate indeed if the 'allowance' is the old Duty Free 250mg, most likely it'll be the 50g 'Oz' allowance (you can bet fAϟH are lobbying PMT.May hard to make it so).

*later edit. One thing I also noticed is that they are now giving away obviously cheaper chocolates and the packs of Cherry Brandy chocs I bought were 'old', not out of date but obviously stored wrong. And for the first time i think ever I was asked if I wanted lighters. Some of the cigarettes I bought were old style packs too but that might just be because even in Belgium hardly anyone smokes them these days .

Last edited by The Blocked Dwarf (27-10-2017 8:20 am)

"I, uh, let her out the trunk...heard what, err, She snarled at THEM...."

27-10-2017 9:40 am  #5

Ah yes BD. I take on board your point about the price difference between Belgium and UK but........

Those who only buy baccy in Belgium and have never bought in the UK for the last umpteen years can only see that their purchases have doubled in price over the last 5 years or so especially the cheap brands. ......I think!  As you know memory plays tricks but I know Springfield was £2 something and is now £5-30 upwards. So whereas they could book a coach ticket and use their pocket money, they now have to draw savings and since wages have almost not increased there is less disposable income. Not saying this is the reason Addy is quiet - just offering a theory as to maybe why...too much time on my hands.

Of course those probably most affected are the likes of those who sell as they will have to keep upping their prices.

As regards exchange rates it has less effect if you are buying in Addy but in our case, using the car, we tend to make a day of it. Wandering around Auchan we usually pick up a few bits and pieces and the exchange rate can make the difference between things being dearer or cheaper than in the UK. Likewise with Pidou. Just adds to the simple pleasure of having found a bargain

Board footera