Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-8-2017 2:38 pm  #1

PIDOU EXCHANGE RATE

Noticed pidou have dropped their exchange rate from 1.20 to 1. 16 making everything more expensive!

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.
Better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep'

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

18-8-2017 7:00 pm  #2

Re: PIDOU EXCHANGE RATE

In July 2015 the pound peaked at €1.44 and today it is €1.09. If my maths is correct that equates to a 25% drop in value. 

We all know the reason but that's history now.

Please ensure you do not divulge any information which could identify you as Border Force will use your posts here as evidence against you in court.

23-8-2017 11:20 am  #3

The Euro is over valued and Sterling is cheap, at the moment the folks investing in the pound are in for the long haul, most expecting it to fall a little bit more but getting on it already, while those investing in the Euro are shorting it expecting the reverse to happen but still investing in it. In 2008 the pound dropped to 1.02. That is seen as a sort of wall.  The experts currently reckon the Euro is only overvalued by about 10% though, so basically they are saying it should be around 1.18... 

Not great news for those that like to buy from Europe like us, but still maybe some light at the end of the tunnel... lets hope its not a train coming towards us.

Something that I have not heard anyone talk about anywhere, but sort of plays up in my philosophical brain, is the effect low unemployment is going to have... when coupled with all the zero hours contracts we have.  We are not a country of strikes any more. But I do wonder, with so many people seemingly having more than one job... is this total absence of hourly contracts going to cause mayhem in the near future as people start to realise the power they have over their employers because the employers thought it was a good idea at the time not to write hours in the contract.  Basically, they have in effect given the employees the power to strike whenever they like, with any notice they like, and the irony is the employee won't even suffer that much because that job is only a percentage of their working week.

If that happens, and if it catches on, then all hell could break loose.

23-8-2017 3:21 pm  #4

NoMoTax wrote:

The Euro is over valued and Sterling is cheap, at the moment the folks investing in the pound are in for the long haul, most expecting it to fall a little bit more but getting on it already, while those investing in the Euro are shorting it expecting the reverse to happen but still investing in it. In 2008 the pound dropped to 1.02. That is seen as a sort of wall.  The experts currently reckon the Euro is only overvalued by about 10% though, so basically they are saying it should be around 1.18... 

Not great news for those that like to buy from Europe like us, but still maybe some light at the end of the tunnel... lets hope its not a train coming towards us.

Something that I have not heard anyone talk about anywhere, but sort of plays up in my philosophical brain, is the effect low unemployment is going to have... when coupled with all the zero hours contracts we have.  We are not a country of strikes any more. But I do wonder, with so many people seemingly having more than one job... is this total absence of hourly contracts going to cause mayhem in the near future as people start to realise the power they have over their employers because the employers thought it was a good idea at the time not to write hours in the contract.  Basically, they have in effect given the employees the power to strike whenever they like, with any notice they like, and the irony is the employee won't even suffer that much because that job is only a percentage of their working week.

If that happens, and if it catches on, then all hell could break loose.

NMT, I agree with your sentiment regarding the Euro.  I am told that it may rise to £1.10.  The UK economy looks to be in good shape though and a lot better than the likes of Spain, Portugal, Greece etc.  Hopefully when common sense prevails a return to £0.70p will be on the cards.  I might even short the Euro for that myself

As regards to your comments on zero hours contracts, I am of the view that they are an evil.
The wealth gap has widened between the top and the bottom it seems to me.  I don't agree with bosses paying themselves millions as they currently do.  Most are not wealth creators in the genuine sense of the word and seem to bring little other advice than to reduce staff levels or product quality to improve profits.  I think some sort of realignment is overdue.  It is often said that English people won't do X, Y or Z job so migrant labour is needed.  I would argue that if companies paid more then the jobs would be filled by our own people.
I am not sure how it will happen or if it will happen unless there is a sea change in attitudes.

JMK

23-8-2017 3:24 pm  #5

Personally I don't see any prospects of a short term improvement. There is nothing on the horizon to cause it to do so.Any good news coming out of the UK is not helping.

As I predicted on the forum before the referendum, the Euro could well achieve parity and it looks even more certain now. Apart from our usual shopping trips mrs eezy is off to Rome in a couple of weeks on a sightseeing trip with her daughter. The exchange rate has considerably reduced her spending money and increased the hotel costs, causing a certain amount of stress.

But then it must be causing some stress to traders abroad as well.

23-8-2017 4:59 pm  #6

I don't think much will change on the job front until there are not enough people to fill the vacancies. The unemployment figures have little bearing on that because there will always be a number of unemployed even though there are jobs available.

I remember back to the 70/80's when people literally knocked my door asking me to go and work for them. In those days when I got fed up with a job, I would pack my tools up on a Friday night and walk into a new job on Monday morning. When the recession came and there wasn't the choice of jobs I went self-employed and never worked for anyone else after that.

Will we ever see that again? - I don't know.

23-8-2017 8:06 pm  #7

One of my regular reads.......

Political uncertainty and Brexit continue to hold back the PoundSterling continues to be under pressure against most of the major currencies due to both political uncertainty and lack of information surrounding the UK’s stance on Brexit. The current situation with the Pound is a poor one and I think it could well have been avoided if it were not for politicians with their own agendas.http://www.currencies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/parliament-union-jack-flag-420x240.jpg
Firstly, there was David Cameron throwing down the gauntlet to Brussels by holding a referendum. His confidence on a remain vote backfired when the UK chose to leave. Boris Johnson being a catalyst by joining Nigel Farage in campaigning to leave. I am of the opinion Boris did this purely to bolster his position. We then have Theresa May calling a general election when she had a significant lead in the hope of winning an easy victory. This became a debacle when she attacked her core voters and failed to win a majority victory.We then have fifteen members of the Conservative party putting forward a vote of no confidence in Theresa May continuing in her position. Political uncertainty weakens the currency in question and until we have a stable government Sterling stands little chance of any significant rally. Let us hope those in power start putting the country first rather than their own political agendas.

Brexit White Papers could cause a Sterling spike.The uncertainty surrounding Brexit negotiations is another reason for the drop in the Pound. The release of the latest Brexit white papers could potentially cause Sterling to strengthen. If there is one thing the markets do not react well to it is uncertainty. No news is worse than bad news in the currency market. If the white papers gives some indication as to the UK’s stance on Brexit I would expect a small rally for Sterling.It is hard to find much basis for Sterling to make significant gains considering the situation we are in. Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and Citibank are all predicting parity on GBP/EUR in 2018.If you are selling Sterling in the short to medium term it may be wise to take advantage of current levels.

UK GDP data to be released tomorrow. GDP is considered to be the broadest measure of UK economic health and can cause volatility on the exchange. There is expected to be little movement but if data comes in below expectations expect the Pound to suffer.

30-8-2017 8:08 am  #8

springfield bacca crept up again £5.05 !

30-8-2017 11:14 am  #9

warrior wrote:

springfield bacca crept up again £5.05 !

At the old shop it's listed at £5-20 for green and yellow.

16-9-2017 9:44 am  #10

Quite interesting at the moment, Pidou are selling at £1 = 1.10 euro.  Post Office will give you 1.11 and you can get 1.14 if you are willing to shop around. (current exchange stated on XE is 1.137).
When the price of Springfield at Real went to £5.20 on the 30th August, the exchange rate was 1.08.  So now it is 6 cents more,  Springfield in Euro is 5.80 euro, at post office rates that is £5.22.  At best rates it is £5.10. 

Obviously prices have got to shift at both places, or people will be better off buying in euros.

16-9-2017 1:59 pm  #11

Consistently the best rate I can get is with No1 currency for collection. Today they are offering €1.1180.

I don't think the currency brokers like XE will do money exchanges as we know them. They normally deal only with currency transfers to foreign countries etc and for large amounts........unless you know different of course. The other way would be to open a euro account and have it paid into that. I have a euro account with Barclays but have not used it for years.

In the past members have been refused UK branded goods such as GV unless they pay in sterling. They have refused payment in Euros. There are a couple of old posts on the forum somewhere.

However you are right in theory.

The only way I know to get the currency market rates i.e. €1.1370 is to pay by credit card. There are some cards which do not charge for foreign transactions. I have something similar. With my card for any purchases I make in the UK, an equivalent amount is added to my account which can be used as a charge-free transaction when purchasing goods abroad. I've not used that facility because up to now the ''Adinkerke shop rate'' has always been better.

2 Points to note though. If you use a card abroad always opt to pay in local currency otherwise the shop can set their own exchange rate. Secondly, if it still applies, you need to show your passport by law for transactions over €500.

Last edited by eezyrider (16-9-2017 2:14 pm)

16-9-2017 8:44 pm  #12

Thanks for the tips about using credit cards and the fact they might not be accepted for some products.  Obviously I was comparing like with like when I worked out the 6c rise, I might get one of those cards though and take cash as well... not this time though. 

18-9-2017 9:08 am  #13

NoMoTax wrote:

Thanks for the tips about using credit cards and the fact they might not be accepted for some products.  Obviously I was comparing like with like when I worked out the 6c rise, I might get one of those cards though and take cash as well... not this time though. 

On the face of it, Halifax Clarity seems to fit the bill

01-10-2017 12:38 pm  #14

NoMoTax wrote:

Quite interesting at the moment, Pidou are selling at £1 = 1.10 euro.  Post Office will give you 1.11 and you can get 1.14 if you are willing to shop around. (current exchange stated on XE is 1.137).
When the price of Springfield at Real went to £5.20 on the 30th August, the exchange rate was 1.08.  So now it is 6 cents more,  Springfield in Euro is 5.80 euro, at post office rates that is £5.22.  At best rates it is £5.10. 

Obviously prices have got to shift at both places, or people will be better off buying in euros.

Still no change at Pidou. Using todays best tourist rate of €1-1145, prices now are actually cheaper in Euros but only by about 4p per bottle. Using a credit card with free foreign transactions, you get the inter bank rate of about €1-1350, saving about 6p per bottle. Not much but means you can use a credit card and still get the best price.

Adinkerke rates though are still far better so pay in sterling.

01-10-2017 5:49 pm  #15

pidou exchange rate is usually around .5 euro more,so at todays rate id expect around 1.20 at least.

08-12-2017 10:05 am  #16

The £ has strengthened over the course of the last 24 hours passing through the €1.14 mark.

Let's see if this marks the beginning of a more sustained improvement.

JMK

08-12-2017 3:31 pm  #17

Unfortunately, rapidly dropped back from today's high of €1-15 to mid 1-13's. Sterling is extremely volatile and anyone wanting euros needs to monitor the rate around the clock and pounce when it hits a high

Don't think it will make any difference to Belgium prices until it consistently holds above at least €1-18.

08-12-2017 3:32 pm  #18

lets hope so.............in time for some christmas shopping

Board footera