Home of N2D.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-1-2019 6:33 pm  #1

Letter of seizure

Hi, hope this is in the right place, Can anyone give me any advice about a letter of seizure I received fro the Border Force about 400 cigarettes we imported over the net? I thought the website was just selling cheap fags and had no idea there was no duty paid. Any help is welcome? Steve. 

08-1-2019 7:55 pm  #2

Re: Letter of seizure

Buying excise goods through the post, from abroad, is a bit complex. It makes no difference if they are bought in the EU (duty paid) or not. Basically you can't do it. 

The correct procedure for postal buying unless it has changed is, the retailer has to pay the UK duty upfront to HMRC and when cleared he can then post to you. This means forms to fill in and post to HMRC and I doubt any foreign seller is going to comply when he can't be touched by our system. Even if you did send the duty payment to the seller you have to rely on him sending it to HMRC and not pocketing it.

I don't know what your letter says but I would be surprised if they would chase you for any duty. If bought from the EU it would be about £90 and if bought outside it should be zero.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

09-1-2019 8:28 am  #3

Thanks for replying. I think the website was from Israel. The amount was £97 in total, but twice the legal amount (400) for personal use. I am so worried about being pursued by the Border agency. I contacted an online solicitor and he said that they may or may not pursue the matter even though it's a very small amount.  Have you ever heard of anyone being prosecuted for such a small amount? Steve.  

09-1-2019 10:17 am  #4

zeff999 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I think the website was from Israel. The amount was £97 in total, but twice the legal amount (400) for personal use. I am so worried about being pursued by the Border agency. I contacted an online solicitor and he said that they may or may not pursue the matter even though it's a very small amount.  Have you ever heard of anyone being prosecuted for such a small amount? Steve.  

It will be HMRC if anybody that follows up.

I wouldn't worry, it's not a criminal offence and you will not end up in court. The worst that can happen is you might get a bill, but theoretically they cannot claim duty on what would otherwise be duty free goods. You may get a questionnaire asking for history of any other transactions. Just reply none. If they knew they would not be asking.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24uxqug.png

09-1-2019 11:04 am  #5

Thanks for replying, that is a load off my mind. Even the solicitor I rang said it might not be worth pursuing for £97. But I've never been involved with the law and it eats you up with worry. One site I found said: that if you agree with the seizure and let them destroy it No further action will be taken. I hope so! Steve. 

Board footera